If you are flying out of Srinagar airport you need to be aware of all the Srinagar Airport security checking processes. This writes up will work as a mini guide which tells you about multiple Srinagar Airport security checking. Srinagar International Airport, also known as Sheikh-ul-Alam Airport, located at 12 km from the north of Srinagar, serving the city with domestic and international flights. Srinagar Airport was once used by the Indian Air Force as a military airport during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1947, but in 1979, AAI decided to set up a civil enclave at the airport.
Disclaimer: This article includes affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, it will incur no extra cost to you but I will get a referral bonus to fund our travels.
On 1998 the airport was slightly modified to host Hajj flights. On the following year, in 1999, taken again by the Air Force during the Kargil War. Srinagar Domestic Terminal offers to passengers the services presented above :
* Lost & found
* Disabled services
* Luggage carts
* Security hold area
* Free Wi-Fi connecti
It was in 2005 that the airport was given the international status airport by the Indian government, and in 2009, the international terminal inaugurated by Sonia Gandhi. It has the capacity to host 500 passengers during peak hours. During Hajj season, the charter terminal used to accommodate the flights to Jeddah.
Of all the airports I have visited, Srinagar airport certainly takes the credit when it comes to the question of security and checking. All of this is, of course, justified considering it would certainly be pretty high up on the target list for any organization planning to create shock and terror there!
There are essentially 4 one-of-a-kind ranges of protection :
First level: As you enter the airport, only a little beforehand from the gate, you need to get down from your vehicle with the luggage and get all of them scanned. this is surely not there in every other airport that I have visited. whilst you and your luggage are getting scanned, the car also receives checked very well outside. this is the primary bags screening and all the participants together with the driver want to get out of the vehicle. There would be sniffer dogs in conjunction with armed safety human beings.
Second level: Once you have got completed with level 1, you get lower back inside your vehicle and drive ahead about half of a kilometer and reach the main departure terminal. This is where you show your tickets and inputs to enter the main airport building. That is the second one stage of safety and is pretty not unusual with different airports which insist on scanning your check-in baggage. So you get your luggage scanned and tagged. Here I need to go away all my apples, biscuits and cakes which I thought to eat in flight. After requesting them the security persons instructed us to eat all of the stuff within the airport only.
Third level: That is right after the safety-test in which there may be a heavy deployment of security persons open many of the bags after the scan, in particular ones with meals or digital gadget (large cameras, laptops and so forth). I had my entire bag opened and laid down on the desk.
Fourth level: When you have done with all scanning and get your boarding pass stamped, the ultimate bit of checking takes place right before you board your plane. Basically, all your hand-baggages opened and scanned visually or with a metal detector just before you board the aircraft. However, I didn’t see this going on for all flights. This is a completely unique check. You want to locate your baggage before it gets loaded into the plane. Show the luggage tags on the back of the boarding bypass to go into the baggage identity area. Make sure that you pass through this check; else your baggage might no longer be loaded in the aircraft.
Considering that this becomes my first time on the Srinagar airport, the checking didn’t hassle me in any respect and I was truly very curious to see all the rules being followed and the meticulousness of the system.
Few tips regarding Srinagar Airport security checking
1) Adherence to baggage packing guidelines and keeping sufficient time in hand before departure of flight are of highest importance.
2) Limited Hand baggage.
3) There are several limitations in terms of what you can carry as hand baggage on any flight initiating from Srinagar.
4) Apart from avoiding normal prohibited objects like a knife, scissors, nail cutter etc., do not carry fruits/flowers/souvenirs like conifer cone with you.
5) No food item or water bottle is allowed in flight.
6) Electronic items like a still/video camera, laptops need to be switched on at the airport.
7) Travelers who generally prefer taking the baggage in the cabin rather checking it in, need to change the habit as some airlines here do not allow even clothes in a bag!
8) Reach the area of the airport at least 4 hours earlier than the flight departure time.
9) Contrasting the normal airports, the security checks here start a kilometer before the airport. These checks could take half an hour to one hour subject on the rush.
10) Keep your identity card and printed copies of tickets handy. The security personnel may check them at multiple points.
11) So do not lose patience; instead, be prepared to pass through them with comfort and confidence.
Srinagar is famous for its panoramic sights. Behold the spectacular view of backdrops during take-off!! I flew out of Srinagar airport with the Indian Airlines flight out of the town. The take off from the airport is spectacular. Grab your seat beside a window.
The day we said goodbye to Kashmir.
LAST UPDATED ON 07.01.21