A thrilling museum that offers exclusive interactive experience that introduces you to the most renowned faces that have shaped the world as we know it. Where else will learners have an opportunity to meet A.P.J Abdul Kalam, renowned Bollywood actors Salman Khan and Amitabh Bachchan, and most competent Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar? Mother Wax Meuseum Kolkata is a worth visit when you are in Kolkata.
And with more than 50 amazingly beautiful figures students will come face to face with the sculptures and can explore the materials and processes used to depict the story behind each celebrity figure.
Mother’s Wax museum additionally known MWM, Kolkata is set close to the new town in city. It is said that the new Town is the dream project of Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee. There are a lot of constructions going around this are. As a part of developing area New Town, Kolkata is also becoming the part of beautification such as new parks, restaurants, hotels, monuments, replicas and entertainment arenas are being set up in this area.
Different sections of the Mother Wax Meuseum
The Museum is spread over two floors and is divided into different sections. Some of the sections covering, that I remember were:
• Literature (Rabindranath Tagore, Kazi Nazrul, Sarat Chandra Chatterjee)
• Sports (Virat Kohli, Messi, Maradona, Sachin Tendulkar, Kapil Dev, Sourav Ganguly)
• Bollywood actors (Shahrukh Khan, Salman Khan, Amitabh Bachchan)
• Music (Lata Mangeshkar, Kishore Kumar, Pandit Ravi Shankar)
• Hollywood actors (Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Bruce Willes, Daniel Craig, Bruce Lee)
• Hollywood Actresses (Angelina Jolie, Nicole Kidman, Julia Roberts, Audrey Hepburn)
• Bengali Cinema (Mithun Chakraborty, Satyajit Ray, Uttam Kumar, Kishore Kumar, Manna Dey, Hemanta Mukherjee, Suchitra Sen)
• Dancer (Michael Jackson)
• Famous figures from Bengal (Raja RamMohan Roy, Vidyasagar, Mother Teresa)
• Famous Hollywood Characters (Harry Potter, Mr Bean, Avatar, ET, Ironman, Spiderman)
• Hindi Comic Characters (Motu Patlu, Chhota Bheem)
• Scientists (Einstein, S.N. Bose, J.C. Bose)
• Leaders (Neta jee Subhash Bose, APJ Kalam, Pranab Mukherjee, B R Ambedkar, Mahatma Gandhi, Sheikh Mujib ur Rahman,)
• Spirituality (Vivekananda, RK Paramhansa, Sharda Devi, Sri Aurobindo)
Following London’s Madame Tussauds Wax Museum, Kolkata’s Mother’s Wax Museum opened its door to the public in November 2014. It has been named after Mother Teresa, who devoted her life to serving the poor and destitute around the world. This is the first wax museum inaugurated in India, the Mother’s Wax Museum is definitely worth visiting. As of now, the museum contains 50 life-size statues of famous personalities from various backgrounds like films, science, sports and music. While the replicas of many personalities’ looks little different from original one. That is the subject of debate. But in totality it is good initiative. Developed by WBHIDCO, the museum occupies the sixth floor of the New Town Financial Hub at Rajarhat. You not only get to hear narrations about the achievements of each of these personalities but also get an opportunity to click selfies with each one of them.
Dos and don’ts
1. Touching the wax figures are not allowed. There will be CCTV at every corner. Also, it makes more sense not to touch the statues. A fine of Rs. 500 may also be charged.
2. Carrying inflammable articles such as lighter or matchbox is banned inside the museum.
3. Also, food and water items are not allowed inside the museum
4. Though photography is allowed videography is not allowed.
5. There is a special tattoo light show in one of the rooms. They charged Rs. 50 separately for it.
CBD-1, New Town,
Website: Mother Wax Museum, Kolkata
Timings: 12 PM to 7:30 PM
Closed on: Mondays
To avail school discounts, you can contact to firstname.lastname@example.org
Also read CALCUTTA HIGH COURT
Last updated on 27.01.20