Igatpuri-A scenic hill-station of Nashik District in Maharashtra. It is situated in the Western Ghats. Igatpuri railway station is in between Mumbai and Nashik Road on the Central Railway. Igatpuri is recognized for Vipassana International Academy, where olden technique of meditation is taught called Vipassana. The place is one of the best places to visit in Maharashtra in rainy season. It is on busy Mumbai-Agra NH-3 approx 46 km from Nashik and 125 km from Mumbai.
Igatpuri railway station is a key railway station linking Igatpuri to Mumbai. The hill-station is well-known for its scenic surroundings, vada pao and idlis sold by vendors to travelers traveling in the train.
Igatpuri is bounded by the highest peaks in Sahyadri i.e. Western Ghats. It is wonderful for trekkers and hikers, Many Indian (Hindi) movie outdoor scenes particularly songs are shot in Igatpuri region.
Igatpuri is a place of importance in terms of Vipassana meditation. The International Centre for Vipassana meditation called Dhammagiri, supposedly the largest Vipassana Center, is situated here. Vipassana exactly, “special-seeing”, sometimes translated as “insight”, is one of two qualities of mind which is developed in Buddhist meditation, the other being samatha (mind calming).
Located at an altitude of 1,900 ft, this beauty obviously possesses a wonderful terrain, with cascading waterfalls and green deep forests to complete the scenic picture. This delightful hill station is unhurt by urbanization and retains its mystical air. Enthusiastic and regular travelers will agree when we say that this place successfully wipes away the strain off your brow owing to the stressful city life we are all habituated to. Simple activities like taking a nature track or watching the sun set will be multiplied by the excitement of the location you’ll find yourself in. The summer can be hot and thirsting. Travelling is generally avoided during this time. The Monsoons are a welcome change from the heat. During this time, Igatpuri converts into a green paradise with milky white waterfalls inspiring the entire experience of sight-seeing. Winter is also a enjoyable time to visit this place with the temperature being just appropriate for travelling, trekking and sight-seeing.
How to Reach Igatpuri -A scenic hill-station
By air: If one desires to travel by air, the Chattrapati Shivaji Airport in Mumbai is the closest International Airport, about 120 km away. The Nashik Domestic Airport is the nearest domestic airport for people flying within India.
By train: There are regular trains as well that runs from several towns and cities inside and outside Maharashtra. Local trains don’t go beyond Kasara, leaving you with the option of either choosing for a bus uphill once you’re there, or taking a long distance train. By road, you can either drive up the stunning mountain roads to reach this place or take a bus from your city. Driving up those tricky mountain roads can prove to be quite a challenge, but it is a small price to pay for the electrifying experience you will get in return. Tourism is the most important section of the Igatpuri’s economy.
What to see at Igatpuri-A Scenic hill-station
Following are the places most visited by holidaymakers:
- Bhatsa River Valley: The Bhatsa river valley is located at the end of the Thal Ghat, just before arriving Igatpuri from Mumbai. The valley lies in the basin of the royal Bhatsa River. The valley is a scenic spot with lush vegetation and magnificent rocks formed by the river that runs through it.
- Arthur Lake: A few km from Igatpuri, lays a gigantic and easygoing Arthur Lake, set like a huge jewel amidst the dense greenery. The lake is shaped by the waters of the Pravara River in the Bhandardara region.
- Dhamma Giri Meditation Centre: Established by S.N.Goenka, Dhammagiri is a meditation Centre offers courses in Vipasana (insight meditation) a technique taught by the Buddha in India, 2,500 years ago. The huge Golden Pagoda, the central theme of Dhammagiri serves as a milestone for Igatpuri. The Centre attracts lots of people from various parts of India as well as abroad. More on Dhammagiri,
Visit at www.giri.dhamma.org
- Camel Valley: A few meters away from Bhatsa river valley, on the right is the camel valley. On the other side of the valley is a waterfall shaped by the rain waters and one have to walk over and look down to find a slope that falls over 1, 000 ft. The waterfall is the main attraction of this place.
We stayed at Dew Drops Boutique Retreat which is a Resort located within the lush green paddy fields and the lovely mountain ranges at Igatpuri, where scenic beauty is at its best. A visit to “Dewdrops” will make you fall in love with this place. We got-
- Luxurious 2BHK villa with exotic view of the lush green fields, open pastures and beautiful mountains surrounding from every side.
- Open to sky Swimming pool with pool side Café 7. If u want to play in pool with ball they sell ball just in case anybody wants it.
- A fully equipped club house with a variety of indoor games & Children Play Area. Lot of games like table tennis/billiards/carom/chess/snake ladder etc. Some of them are paid.
- Toilets were very clean.
- Hot and cold water was there in both washrooms.
- There is a bath-tub in one of the toilets
- Towels and toiletries have been provided.
- Tea/ Coffee maker available in our room.
- TV was also there however just a suggestion if u really want to enjoy this place just don’t turn on the TV.
- The ambiance of restaurant was awesome. Food was very tasty and service is very good.
- DJ room /karaoke were another awesome activity. They have a room for that so you would also enjoy that.
Overall I would say that if you are looking for getaway from Mumbai then this would be a perfect place with a decent budget. If you have any question let me know in below mentioned comments section. I have tried to detail as possible.
Also read DELLA ADVENTURE PARK-LONAVALA