It is a subject of pride that Uttarakhand has received the top award during the 66th National Film Award ceremony for being the Best Film-Friendly State in India in the year 2019. A favorable atmosphere was created for filmmakers/directors to shoot their films in the state. With the leading prize at the National Film Awards, it’s sure that more films will now be shot in Uttarakhand. To ensure this, the state government has executed an attractive film policy keeping in view various amenities that can be availed by filmmakers. In the investment conference held in the state in 2018, suggestions were also made by the filmmakers from India and abroad, after which the comprehensive Film Policy 2019 was implemented by the state government. Here I have tried to make a comprehensive list of Films shot in Uttarakhand. This is the second part.
Disclaimer: This article includes affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, it will incur no extra cost to you but I will get a referral bonus to fund our travels.
The tranquil environment of Uttarakhand state is appropriate for shooting films. The state has some of the best picturesque natural sites, which are suitable for shooting. Moreover, no production team or artist faces any behavioral challenges from locals while shooting there.
Though my list is not a complete list still I tried to make a comprehensive one. This is Part-II. For Part-I, click here.
16) Student of the Year 2 is a 2019 Indian Hindi teen movie directed by Punit Malhotra. A sequel to the 2012 film Student of the Year, it leads Tiger Shroff, Tara Sutaria, and Ananya Panday. Principal photography for Student of the Year 2 done in Dehradun. Parts of the film were shot at Rishikesh and Mussoorie.
TO SEE ONLINE CLICK HERE
17) Swarnakamalam (Eng-The Golden Lotus) is a 1988 Indian Telugu language dance film, written and directed by K. Viswanath. The film featured Venkatesh and Bhanupriya as lead roles while Sharon Lowen re-presented herself in a very special role. The choreography is done by Kelucharan Mohapatra, with music by Ilaiyaraaja. The song sequences were widely shot at the Valley of Flowers park, the Nanda Devi Sanctuary, the Shanti Stupa, and Bhringesvara Siva Temple at Dhauli; other locations in Visakhapatnam.
18) Tashan (Eng-Style) is a 2008 Indian action comedy film starring Akshay Kumar, Saif Ali Khan, Anil Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor in the lead roles. The film was shot in the city of Haridwar on the banks of the river Ganges.
FOR DVD CLICK HERE
19) Thani Oruvan (Eng-The sole one) a 2015 Indian Tamil-language action thriller movie directed by Mohan Raja. The film shot partially in Rishikesh, Dehradun, and Mussoorie.
20) Vivah (Eng-Marriage) is a 2006 Indian Hindi-language romantic drama film, written and directed by Sooraj R. Barjatya. Starring Shahid Kapoor and Amrita Rao. Vivah says the story of two individuals and relates their journey from engagement to marriage and outcome. Outdoor scenes of the film were done in Delhi, Lonavla, Ranikhet, Nainital, and Almora.
TO WATCH ONLINE CLICK HERE
21) Rama O Rama is a 1988 Indian Bollywood film directed and produced by Mirza Brothers. It leads to Raj Babbar and Kimi Katkar in key roles. Rama O Rama was shot at Nainital, Chaukari, Sheraghat. ‘Tu lali hain saberewali” was a hit song of this film.
22) Sirf Tum (Eng-Only You) a 1999 Indian Hindi romance movie directed by Agathian. The film leads Sanjay Kapoor, Priya Gill, Sushmita Sen, Simran Bagga, and Jackie Shroff. The movie was shot in Nainital, Kerala, and Houston. It is a re-creation of the National Award-winning Tamil film Kadhal Kottai which was also re-created in Bengali as Hothat Brishti, directed by Basu Chatterjee.
23) Lakshya (Eng-Aim) is a 2004 Indian Hindi-language war-drama movie directed by Farhan Akhtar and starring Hrithik Roshan, Amitabh Bachchan and Preity Zinta in the main roles. It is a coming-of-age story set against a fictionalized background of the 1999 Kargil War. The shooting of the film began in Mumbai, India and the movie was shot at some different sites in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. The scenes in Kargil were shot in Ladakh, Jammu, and Kashmir. Some parts of the film centered on Hrithik’s military training were also shot at the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun. Real Indian Army officers also participated in the movie.
WATCH ONLINE CLICK HERE
24) Ahista Ahista (Eng-Slowly Slowly) is a Hindi film starring Abhay Deol, Soha Ali Khan and Shayan Munshi. This film scripts the directorial debut of Shivam Nair with a story much nearer to the Fyodor Dostoevsky’s story, ‘White Nights’, on which an earlier Raj Kapoor film Chhalia was also based. The film shot in Nainital.
FOR DVD CLICK HERE
25) Pyar Ki Dhun (The tune of Love) is a 2002 Indian (Hindi) romantic drama film directed and produced by Samarjit Dasgupta. The film was shot widely in London, England and partly in India, at Ranikhet (Uttaranchal) and Mumbai in 2001. The film leads Milind Soman, Swati and Hena in the main roles. Lyrics by Javed Akhtar and melodic music by debutant Shantanu Moitra, make the songs of the film memorable and attractive.
26) Salami is a 1994 Indian Bollywood film directed by Shahrukh Sultan and stars Ayub Khan and Roshini Jaffery in pivotal roles. The film was a hit. The film was shot at Lohaghat and Champawat, Uttarakhand.
27) Gumrah (Eng-Astray) is a 1963 Hindi film produced and directed by B. R. Chopra. The film leads Sunil Dutt, Ashok Kumar, Mala Sinha, Nirupa Roy, Deven Verma, and Shashikala. The music was composed by Ravi and the lyrics were by Sahir Ludhianvi. The film was a box office success. It was remade in Malayalam as Vivahitha (1970). For her performance, Shashikala won the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress. The song “inhi hawao me, inhi Fijazo me” was taken in Nainital.
TO WATCH ONLINE CLICK HERE
28) Rehnaa Hai Terre Dil Mein (English: I Want to Stay in Your Heart) is a 2001 Indian Hindi-language romantic drama movie written and directed by Gautham Menon starring Madhavan, Diya Mirza and Saif Ali Khan within the main roles. The film is a re-creation of the director’s own Tamil film Minnale. The film was not so popular during the time of its release but has since developed a cult following among Indian youth. The film was also shot in Dehradun.
FOR DVD CLICK HERE
29) The Last Lear is a 2007 Indian drama film directed by Rituparno Ghosh. The film bags the National Award of India for Best Feature Film in English in 2007. The film leads Amitabh Bachchan, Preity Zinta, Arjun Rampal, Divya Dutta, Shefali Shah, and Jisshu Sengupta. The principal shooting happened in Kolkata and a few shooting happened in Mussoorie.
To view online click here
30) Ambara (Eng-Amber) is a 2013 Indian Kannada language romance film written and directed by Sen Prakash. The film stars Yogesh and Bhama in the major roles. Abhiman Roy has scored the music. The shooting partially took place in Haridwar and Rishikesh during the final schedule.
I believe that Uttarakhand is not only appropriate for shooting Bollywood films but Hollywood films as well. Recently, Discovery Channel’s most popular program, Man vs Wild, was shot in Uttarakhand, which featured Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi. Apart from this, the well-known Hollywood actor Will Smith also came here to shoot a film. That is why I would call upon the global filmmakers and directors to come to Uttarakhand without any hesitation and shoot their films here. The state government will provide all possible support to them.
Updated on 12.01.21