When I was a kid that time I had the experience of staying one or two nights in a railway retiring room along with my family. Truly speaking from that time I was carrying a bitter experience regarding Railway Retiring Room. The rooms were dirty and untidy. Bedcovers were dirty. Walls were tampered and damp. Bathroom was most unhygienic. Moreover, taps and lights were not working. Due to these reasons I avoided Railway Retiring Rooms when I used to travel. But recently some where I read an article which tells that now Railway Retiring Rooms are not less than any star category hotel rooms. When I stayed at Naharlagun Railway Retiring Room recently I found it was true.
Disclaimer: This article includes affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, it will incur no extra cost to you but I will get a referral bonus to fund our travels.
The Indian Railways allows citizens to book retiring rooms at various rates for various classes, which are available in Single, Double and Dormitory type of occupancy with AC and Non AC combination. While the retiring rooms can be booked offline, IRCTC facilitates the online booking /cancellation of Railways Retiring Room.
A traveller can book a Railway retiring room for a minimum period of 3 Hrs, which can be extended till the maximum duration of 48 Hrs. Any person can book it online having a valid (Confirm or RAC) PNR.
How to book Indian Railways retiring room(Naharlagun Railway Retiring Room) on line step by step-
Step 1: Go to official website of IRCTC Tourism at irctctourism.com
Step 2: On the homepage, click on Stays or At Station menu and from drop down window click on “Retiring Room” link
Step 3: Book a retiring room, as per your choice at departure or arrival stations.
Step 4: Once the room is book, you have to pay online either through credit or debit card.
Step 5: Then the passenger will receive a confirmation through e-mail.
How to book Indian Railways retiring room offline
Step 1: Visit your nearest major train station having a Retiring room with on-line booking facility
Step 2: Provide your PNR, along with a status of Confirmed or RAC.
Please note the Retiring Room Booking Facility at stations is usually located inside / adjacent to CTI Office, Current Booking or Enquiry Counter and operated by On-duty TE of the Station.
IRCTC never fails to attract its customers. Recently, the Indian Railways has announced that it allows citizens to book retiring rooms at various rates for various classes, which are available in Single, Double and Dormitory type of occupancy with AC and Non AC combination. You can cancel it online also by paying a nominal charge.
Yes, I must rate Naharlagun Railway Retiring Room over hotels in Itanagar for one/two day’s trips.
1. It is really cheaper, 3 bedded family AC room cost around Rs. 570 for 24 hours. Same type room in a hotel in place like Itanagar cost you around Rs. 2000.
2. My room is really big clearly visible from my uploaded photos.
3. Rooms are in first floor with balcony and obviously with awesome scenic beauty.
4. Safer, as the RPF office is in the ground floor. So, you were 100% safe with your family.
5. Can be booked and canceled online.
6. They provided a wardrobe but lock should be yours.
7. They provided clean bed sheets, cleaned pillow (extra pillow also given after requesting) and cleaned small towels.
8. You would get RO filtered cool water on platforms with a minimum price of Rs.5 per liter.
9. Supercool AC attached with our room.
10. Restaurant (Jan Ahaar) is also on same floor with sufficient options.
11. Foods are cost effective, yummy and fresh.
12. Restaurant is really clean and hygenic.
13. Only thing you will miss in this room is TV. I do not like to see TV at the time of traveling. We spent our evening viewing the beauty of Arunachal hills.
14. You may also hear very less announcements of train in night due to less numbers of trains from Naharlagun terminal station. Moreover, AC room which I got was really sound proof.
15. My room is also attached with a long washroom with soap and well cleaned commode.
16. Bathroom has all essential fittings.
17. No Chance of power cut as railway stations are under essential service.
18. Availability of vehicle for 24 hours.
19. I got sufficient light in our room.
1. Carry your own lock, preferably small so that you can use the locker as they don’t provide lock.
2. Carry your own bed sheet. As they can take some time to change.
3. Carry one mosquito repellent and use it if require.
So overall I would say it was awesome stay.
Last updated on 15.12.20202