It is a subject of pride that Uttarakhand has received the top award during the 66th National Film Award ceremony for being the Best Film-Friendly State in India in the year 2019. A favorable atmosphere was created for filmmakers/directors to shoot their films in the state. With the best prize at the National Film Awards, we hope that more films will now be shot in Uttarakhand. To ensure this, the government has executed a beautiful film policy keeping in sight various amenities which will be availed by filmmakers. Here I have tried to make a comprehensive list of Films shot in Uttarakhand. This is the first part.
The state government has prepared its Film Policy attractive, which comprises the single window shooting permission. Now no fee is being charged for shooting in the state. Under the new film policy, a facility of providing a grant up to Rs 1.5 crore has been put in place. Along with this, free of cost police protection during the duration of film shooting and the provision of residential plan for shooting crew with 50 per cent discount in local government guest houses for the whole shooting period has also been made. With these facilities the state, we hope that more and more filmmakers will come here to shoot their films.
Though my list is not a complete list still I tried to make a comprehensive one.
1) Bunty Aur Babli is a Hindi crime comedy film directed by Shaad Ali and released in 2005 in India. Written and produced by Aditya Chopra, the film features Rani Mukherji, Abhishek Bachchan and Amitabh Bachchan in the lead roles. Film was shot at Rishikesh and Musouri.
2) Dear Dad is a sentimental story, involving a father-son duo. The father-son duo embarks on an unplanned road trip from their home, in Delhi, to Mussorie (Uttarakhand), where Shivam attends boarding school.
3) Dhumketu (Eng-The Comet) is a 2018 Bengali romance action film directed by Koushik Ganguly. It features Dev, Subhasree Ganguly and Chiranjeet Chakraborty in main roles. The filming locations are Kolkata and Khoorpatal, Nainital. The unit was at first supposed to shoot in Kashmir but later Nainital was nominated.
4) Dum Laga Ke Haisha (Eng-Give in all your energy), released in 2015. The Hindi romantic comedy-drama movie written and directed by Sharat Katariya, starring Ayushmann Khurana and Bhumi Pednekar, Sanjay Mishra and Seema Pahwa in the lead roles. The film is shot on wonderful locations across Northern India, including Gomukh, Gangotri, Rishikesh, Haridwar, Chunar, Benares, and also in Paris and Limours, France.
5) Kaal (Eng-The Time of Doom), is an Indian natural horror film directed by Soham Shah. The film leads John Abraham, Vivek Oberoi, Esha Deol, Lara Dutta in main roles with Ajay Devgan. The film was shot at the Jim Corbett National Park.
6) Kati Patang (Eng-The Detached Kite) is a 1971 Indian Hindi-language film directed by Shakti Samanta. It was a box office hit. The film stars Asha Parekh as a woman pretending to be a widow, and her charming neighbor played by Rajesh Khanna. The film partly shot at Nainital Naini Lake.
7) Koi… Mil Gaya (Eng-I found someone) is a 2003 Hindi science fiction movie directed by Rakesh Roshan. The film stars Hrithik Roshan and Preity Zinta in the lead roles with Rekha playing a vital supporting role. The film was released in 2003. It was filmed in Kasauli, Nanital, Bhimtal and in Canada.
8) Madhumati is a 1958 Hindi romance movie directed and produced by Bimal Roy, and written by Ritwik Ghatak and Rajinder Singh Bedi. The film stars Dilip Kumar and Vyjayantimala as the lead roles, with Pran and Johnny Walker in supporting roles. Madhumati was shot in various Indian locations, including Ranikhet, Ghorakhal, Vaitarna Dam and Aarey Milk Colony.
9) Masoom (Eng-The Innocent) is a 1983 Hindi drama film of filmmaker Shekhar Kapur. It was a version of 1980 novel Man, Woman and Child by Erich Segal which had earlier been adapted into a 1982 Malayalam movie Olangal and a 1983 American movie Man, Woman and Child. The film could be a coming-of-age story starring Naseeruddin Shah and Shabana Azmi in lead roles alongside Tanuja, Supriya Pathak and Saeed Jaffrey. It features Jugal Hansraj, Aradhana and Urmila Matondkar as kid actors. It was shot at Nainital.
10) Mere Brother Ki Dulhan (Eng-My brother’s bride) is a 2011 Indian romantic comedy film directed and written by Ali Abbas Zafar. Its music done by Sohail Sen and was released under YRF Music. The film leads Imran Khan, Katrina Kaif and Ali Zafar. Many scenes of this movie were shot at Mussorie.
11) Paan Singh Tomar is a 2012 Indian biographical film based on the true story of the athlete of the same name. A soldier in the Indian Army, he won a medal at the Indian National Games, but was forced to become a bandit. Irrfan Khan plays the major part, with Mahie Gill, Vipin Sharma and Nawazuddin Siddiqui as supporting cast. The film was shot in gorges of Chambal, in Dholpur and in the uphill of one of the oldest army cantonments in India, Roorkee Cantonment. The Dramatics Team of the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee also helped within the several scenes shot in cantonment. To prepare for his role, Irrfan Khan trained rigorously with sprint coaches, even breaking his ankle at one point during the filming.
12) Shagoon is a 1964 Indian Hindi drama movie directed by Nazar. The film stars Waheeda Rehman, Kamaljeet, Nazir Hussain, Achla Sachdev, and Nana Palsikar. The film was shot in Bombay and Nainital. The music composed by Khayyam with lyrics Sahir Ludhianvi, creating unforgettable songs like “Parbaton Ke Pedon Par Shaam” sung by Mohammed Rafi and Suman Kalyanpur and “Tum Apna Ranj-o-gham” by Jagjit Kaur.
13) Shubh Mangal Saavdhan (Eng-Beware of marriage) is a 2017 Indian Hindi-language romantic comedy drama movie, directed by R.S. Prasanna. Featuring Ayushmann Khurrana and Bhumi Pednekar as lead roles, it’s the remake of the director’s own Tamil film Kalyana Samayal Saadham (2013). The film was shot in Delhi, Rishikesh and Haridwar.
14) Sigaram Thodu (Eng-Touch the peak) is a 2014 Indian Tamil-language action thriller film written and directed by Gaurav Narayanan, who also starred in the film. The film stars Vikram Prabhu, Sathyaraj, and Monal Gajjar within the lead roles. The shooting of Sigaram Thodu done at Chandi Devi Temple in Haridwar, Uttarakhand.
15) Student of the Year is a 2012 Indian Hindi-language romantic comedy-drama film directed by Karan Johar. The film stars Sidharth Malhotra, Alia Bhatt and Varun Dhawan as the lead roles. Some parts of the movie were shot in Kashmir and Dehradun. The external view of the institute was taken from Kasiga School Dehradun, whose name was changed to St. Teresa.
Also read KUMAON DIARIES- PART 6