Let me inform Few interesting facts about Mt. Kanchenjunga
1) The main peak of Kanchenjunga is the second-highest mountain in Nepal after Mount Everest, the third highest mountain in the world.
2) Kanchenjunga Main is the highest mountain in India and the easternmost of the mountains higher than 8,000 meters.
3) It is called Five Treasures of Snow after its five high peaks and has always been worshipped by the people of Darjeeling and Sikkim.
4) Kanchenjunga was first climbed on 25 May 1955 by Joe Brown and George Band, who were part of a British expedition. They stopped short of the summit as per the promise was given to the Chogyal that the highest of the mountain would remain inviolate. Every climber or climbing cluster that has reached the summit has followed this tradition.
5) Khangchendzonga National Park is a National Park and a Biosphere Reserve located in Sikkim, India. It was inscribed to the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization World Heritage Sites list on July seventeen, 2016.
6) The area around Kangchenjunga is said to be home to a mountain deity, called Dzö-nga or “Kangchenjunga Demon“, a type of yeti or rakshasa. A British geological expedition in 1925 noticed a two-footed creature that they asked the locals about, who referred to it as the “Kangchenjunga Demon”.
7) For generations, there have been legends recounted by the inhabitants of the areas surrounding Mount Kanchenjunga, both in Sikkim and in Nepal, that there is a valley of immortality hidden on its slopes.
8) In 1999, official James Bond author Raymond Benson published ‘High Time to Kill’. In this story, a microdot containing a secret formula for aviation technology is stolen by a society called the Union. During their escape, their plane crashes on the slopes of Kangchenjunga, and character becomes a part of a rising expedition in order to retrieve the formula.
9. The mountain is said to be an important place in the performance of religious rituals among local people. It is sacred in the Kirat religion.
10. There is a Tibetan refugee settlement camp on the trail to Kanchenjunga where other ethnic groups like Sherpa, Limbu, and Rai also reside. The trail includes beautiful rhododendron, pine, and juniper forests, rich vegetation, and high alpine passes.
11. You will see several rare wildlife like Musk deer, Red Panda, Snow-Leopard, Blue Sheep.
12. Additionally, you will also see abundant species of bird-like Shy Dragon, Impedance Pheasant, Red-Billed Blue Magpie.
This is a write up which includes a few points you need to know about Mt. Kanchenjunga. These are few points about the Mt. Kanchenjunga which is the third highest mountain in the world, behind Everest (highest) and K2 (second highest). It is located along the Nepal-Sikkim border, about 20 kilometers south of Tibet.
Also, read DOS AND DON’TS IN SIKKIM